April 13, 2021

pomnyun sunim bowing in dharma talk

Today is the first online election day for the Jungto Society in our history. At 4:30 am, Sunim started the day with a live broadcast of the 1000-Day Practice prayer at the Dubuk Retreat Center. The meditation started with a bell, followed by a sincere prayer chant.

After the prayer was finished at 5 o’clock, Sunim greeted everyone.

“Did you sleep well? Today is day 97 since the 10th-4th 100-day prayer began. Next week, the 4th 100-day prayer will be completed, and the 5th 100-day prayer will begin. Congratulations to all of you who have devoted yourself to daily practice. After prayer, we will continue the talk.” Subsequently, he followed the Vows to the Threefold Refuge, meditation, repentance, 108 bows, meditation, and daily readings.

After reading the scriptures, Sunim’s dharma talk continued. He talked about the chilly weather and showed the royal azaleas in full bloom now. “Are these flowers pretty? They are royal azaleas. Other azalea petals are falling, but the royal azaleas are in full bloom these days.”

Finally, Sunim greatly encouraged the people who started the 1000 Day-Practice in January for the first time.

After he finished speaking, the broadcast ended with a promise to meet at the 5th 1000-Day Practice opening ceremony next Sunday.

Subsequently, online elections for the Jungto Society began at 9 am. Eunsook Kim was elected as the representative of the Jungto.

“Congratulations to everyone who has been nominated and who has been appointed. Thank you.” Pomnyun Sunim said.

After the meeting of the lead Jungto practitioners, Sunim signed his memorial of the Niwano Peace Prize to give it to the general directors who are ending their term of office soon.

And immediately, Sunim changed into his work clothes and went outside to work on the area around the Dubuk Retreat Center. Today, he pruned the branches of the trees at the retreat center.

He climbed the tallest pine tree using the longest ladder extended. The branches that extended to the rooftop of the training center were cut.

The volunteers who came to clean up the warehouse saw Sunim up high and they ran quickly towards him.

“Sunim, it’s too dangerous. I will go up.” One of the volunteers said.

“What if you get hurt? It’s better for me to get hurt” Sunim said and laughed.

“If you get injured, the Jungto Society will have to be suspended.”

“No. There will be many people who would think my injury is good for them. Even when the Buddha died, there were monks who thought that the old nagging man had died. But what am I in comparison? Let’s go to the next tree.”

Sunim continued to climb trees. Sawdust scattered like snow flakes under the tree. After Sunim cut the branches and came down, the visiting and residing volunteers picked up the branches and collected them. The branches are to be dried at the back of the training center to be used for firewood in winter.

Sunim continued pruning all of the remaining trees without stopping.

The meeting time is approaching. After three hours of pruning trees, the work wrapped up.

“Oh, that feels refreshing ! The resident’s long wish has been solved.”

Sunim went around the retreat center and looked at the remaining trees that needed to be pruned.

“Tomorrow I will have to prune this tree too.”

At 6 pm, Sunim attended the Unification Special Committee online meeting.

A person playing a piano

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

This time, attendees recommended regional secretary nominees within the Unification Special Committee. After discussing areas of disagreement, the final appointment was approved.

A picture containing text, indoor, wall, electronics

Description automatically generated

Finally, Sunim said the closing words.

A picture containing person, person, indoor

“The recommendations and appointments were well done. The steering committee is definitely playing a big role. Thank you.” (laugh)

After the Four Great Vows, he stood up.

“Oh, my legs hurt. After working hard all day, my body aches.”

In the evening, Sunim proofread his manuscript and finished the day.

Tomorrow, we are going to harvest the Kalopanax shoots early in the morning, followed by more tidy up work around the Dubuk Retreat Center. In the evening, there is a meeting of the association to finalize the online election results, and online Sunday meditation will be conducted live.

“What if you get hurt? It’s better for me to get hurt”

4.10.2021-Live broadcast of 1000-Day Practice and pruning trees

April 13, 2021

pomnyun sunim bowing in dharma talk

Today is the first online election day for the Jungto Society in our history. At 4:30 am, Sunim started the day with a live broadcast of the 1000-Day Practice prayer at the Dubuk Retreat Center. The meditation started with a bell, followed by a sincere prayer chant.

After the prayer was finished at 5 o’clock, Sunim greeted everyone.

“Did you sleep well? Today is day 97 since the 10th-4th 100-day prayer began. Next week, the 4th 100-day prayer will be completed, and the 5th 100-day prayer will begin. Congratulations to all of you who have devoted yourself to daily practice. After prayer, we will continue the talk.” Subsequently, he followed the Vows to the Threefold Refuge, meditation, repentance, 108 bows, meditation, and daily readings.

After reading the scriptures, Sunim’s dharma talk continued. He talked about the chilly weather and showed the royal azaleas in full bloom now. “Are these flowers pretty? They are royal azaleas. Other azalea petals are falling, but the royal azaleas are in full bloom these days.”

Finally, Sunim greatly encouraged the people who started the 1000 Day-Practice in January for the first time.

After he finished speaking, the broadcast ended with a promise to meet at the 5th 1000-Day Practice opening ceremony next Sunday.

Subsequently, online elections for the Jungto Society began at 9 am. Eunsook Kim was elected as the representative of the Jungto.

“Congratulations to everyone who has been nominated and who has been appointed. Thank you.” Pomnyun Sunim said.

After the meeting of the lead Jungto practitioners, Sunim signed his memorial of the Niwano Peace Prize to give it to the general directors who are ending their term of office soon.

And immediately, Sunim changed into his work clothes and went outside to work on the area around the Dubuk Retreat Center. Today, he pruned the branches of the trees at the retreat center.

He climbed the tallest pine tree using the longest ladder extended. The branches that extended to the rooftop of the training center were cut.

The volunteers who came to clean up the warehouse saw Sunim up high and they ran quickly towards him.

“Sunim, it’s too dangerous. I will go up.” One of the volunteers said.

“What if you get hurt? It’s better for me to get hurt” Sunim said and laughed.

“If you get injured, the Jungto Society will have to be suspended.”

“No. There will be many people who would think my injury is good for them. Even when the Buddha died, there were monks who thought that the old nagging man had died. But what am I in comparison? Let’s go to the next tree.”

Sunim continued to climb trees. Sawdust scattered like snow flakes under the tree. After Sunim cut the branches and came down, the visiting and residing volunteers picked up the branches and collected them. The branches are to be dried at the back of the training center to be used for firewood in winter.

Sunim continued pruning all of the remaining trees without stopping.

The meeting time is approaching. After three hours of pruning trees, the work wrapped up.

“Oh, that feels refreshing ! The resident’s long wish has been solved.”

Sunim went around the retreat center and looked at the remaining trees that needed to be pruned.

“Tomorrow I will have to prune this tree too.”

At 6 pm, Sunim attended the Unification Special Committee online meeting.

A person playing a piano

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

This time, attendees recommended regional secretary nominees within the Unification Special Committee. After discussing areas of disagreement, the final appointment was approved.

A picture containing text, indoor, wall, electronics

Finally, Sunim said the closing words.

A picture containing person, person, indoor

“The recommendations and appointments were well done. The steering committee is definitely playing a big role. Thank you.” (laugh)

After the Four Great Vows, he stood up.

“Oh, my legs hurt. After working hard all day, my body aches.”

In the evening, Sunim proofread his manuscript and finished the day.

Tomorrow, we are going to harvest the Kalopanax shoots early in the morning, followed by more tidy up work around the Dubuk Retreat Center. In the evening, there is a meeting of the association to finalize the online election results, and online Sunday meditation will be conducted live.